• Revista Speak Up Digital

322 - Exploring Google

David-Esquire

Speaker: Mark Worden (Standard British accent)

We asked Google Explorer David Esquire to describe his visit to the Google’s Los Angeles headquarters:

David Esquire (Standard American accent)

It’s atmospheric. It’s inspiring. It’s even educational, I would have to say. When you come up to Google LA’s headquarters, the particular building was built by an architect/artist. So the front of the building looks like a pair of binoculars. It doesn’t look like your typical building that you’re walking into. And when you walk in, there’s all this artwork that’s everywhere. The people that are there, the Glass guides, they’re all wearing Glass as well. Everybody’s super friendly. It’s almost like you’re walking onto a movie set, in a sense. There’s giant chess pieces and... for a giant chessboard in the courtyard. They have a café, a restaurant. There’s all kinds of different little foyer areas where you can sit and mingle and share ideas and brainstorm and work. It’s a very open campus environment and I felt very comfortable walking into it. And upstairs in the showroom, it’s all nice and clean. It’s very minimalistic in terms of the approach. Imagine an Ikea showroom but then scale that down in terms of everything that’s there. It’s tables and chairs and the glass product and it was really clean. It just really showcased the look of what they wanted for Google Glass and tying it all together with the actual atmosphere that you’re walking into.

We also asked him whether concerns about privacy and security in relation to Google Glass were valid?

David Esquire

They are valid concerns. The facial recognition, Google is prohibiting that. My guess is it will eventually be something that Glass may have along with the other competitors that are being introduced into the market right now. In terms of privacy, I could be sitting here right now with my iPhone and have it on video mode and you would have no clue that I’m shooting a video. I could be holding my phone in a manner that just seems very cavalier, very nonchalant. You would have no idea that I’m recording a video or taking photographs because there’s no light on an iPhone. There’s nothing letting you know that anything is being captured on an iPhone. Same thing on an Android and the same thing on a Windows device and same thing on the older Nokias. There’s nothing letting you know. With Glass, if I were to wake it up right now, you would see the prism light up. You actually see something. You can tell when Glass is activated. With a phone, you can’t tell. So I think it’s just a matter of people getting used to it because it is a new technology, and it’s no different than when Blue Tooth headsets came out. People thought, “Oh my gosh, are you listening in on my, you know, conversation with you?” That’s not the case, and people got used to it, and I... I really truly believe that this is just because it is a new technology, people are just nervous, they don’t know. And the... seriously, the more that I educate people around the world about Glass and really show them that the privacy concerns are really... they’re just a moot point, it’s not necessary. And then they go, “Oh yeah, you can see the prism light up!” I’m like, “Of course, but you can’t tell that I’m recording you with my iPhone right now.” And then they’re a lot more... I would have to say calm about it, if that, but they’re just curious. They want to know, they want to know that their privacy is secure.