• Revista Speak Up Impressa
  • Revista Speak Up Digital
  • Revista Speak Up Digital

298 - Pegue essa carona e apareça na Speak UP 300

speakup-br-300

{play}music/br300jason.mp3{/play}

Dear reader,

My name is Jason Bermingham and you know me best as the voice that introduces Speak Up each month. As well as speaking on the CD, I sometimes write for the magazine. If you were reading Speak Up one hundred issues ago, you may remember “Interamericas”, a travel series that took you on a road trip from the U.S.A. to Brazil. Twenty-five issues later, Speak Up sent me packing again – this time to write “Choose Your Brazil”, an interactive series in which readers visited several Brazilian state capitals. Now, with historic issue 300 just around the corner, the moment is right for a new road-trip feature – only this one more figurative than the others. Speak Up issue 300 will introduce “BR-300”.

“BR-300” is all about you, the Speak Up reader here in Brazil. You are invited to send an e-mail or letter with a question related to English-learning. We are looking for a question that demands more attention than a simple reply on the Letters page. For instance, why do you suppose Americans are called gringos in foreign countries? How on Earth can a Portuguese speaker properly pronounce the word “Earth”? Or, hey, wait a minute, in the first paragraph of this article you wrote “road trip” without a hyphen and then “road-trip” with a hyphen – what’s that about? These are just examples, but you get the idea. And here’s the best part: since this column is about you, please be sure to include a picture of yourself when you send in your question. If you are chosen as the passenger of the issue, your smiling face will be printed right there beside mine as we cruise down BR-300 and discuss what’s on your mind.

I’m already filling up the gas tank, so act fast if you want to be the first passenger and appear in issue 300. Please send your question and photo to Este endereço de email está sendo protegido de spambots. Você precisa do JavaScript ativado para vê-lo. or Speak Up, Rua Helena, 260, 5º andar, Vila Olímpia,

I’ll be watching for you on the side of the road.

All the best, Jason Bermingham 
PS: Please write “BR-300” as the subject of your e-mail.