• Revista Speak Up Digital

302 - Rent a Friend

Sonni Abatta (Standard American accent):
It is the Netflix of companionship, the Avis of acquaintances…

Bob Frier (Standard American accent):
More than a quarter million people are available “to rent,” on a service that’s called Rentafriend.com. David Martin shows you what 20 bucks an hour could buy you…

David Martin (Standard American accent):
Professional dancer Lucy Fuller leases herself. It’s not what you think, though…

Lucy Fuller: (Standard American accent):
I haven’t had any of the “inappropriate offers,” which is good ‘cause I think I probably would have gotten off the site pretty fast!

David Martin:
Now, you see, you can rent Lucy in a G-rated way, by clicking her profile on Rentafriend.com…

Lucy Fuller:
One woman had a business conference and she was in town, and she had Saturday during the day off, so she asked me to go shopping with her.

David Martin:
Lucy’s rate for that? $15 an hour.

Lucy Fuller:
Another woman didn’t want to write her thank you notes for her wedding, so she was going to… have me do them.

David Martin:
That would have been $25 an hour, but the hubby wisened up. Lucy’s friend was asked…

Lucy Fuller:
… to stand in line to get the tickets, like to camp out, so they… she was there for like 14 hours, and she made a lot of money!

David Martin:
So, like this dance floor, Lucy’s getting some action on the website, but newbie member Lina is still waiting for a customer… I can rent you?

Lina (Standard American/Hispanic accent):
Yes, you can rent me!

David Martin:
How much can I rent you for?

Lina:
$20 an hour.

David Martin:
20 bucks an hour? And what do I get for $20 an hour, Lina?

Lina:
My companionship, we can do whatever it is that you might want to do. You know, go to a movie, go to see like a theme park like this, or, if you have a wedding to go to, you don’t have a date, I can be your date for the wedding. I mean, everybody’s working, two or three jobs, going to school. I don’t even have time to make friends, so that’s basically why I joined this: I want to do fun stuff, but sometimes I don’t have friends to do the things with, so I figure this is the best way to do it, it’s like kind of like reminds me of when I was in high school, when I was babysitting.

David Martin:
And, like Lucy, Lina is all about keeping the companionship platonic…

Lina:
Basically, I don’t want to go out with a creep, you know, it all depends of (sic) your perception, when you first get to meet that person.

David Martin:
The website, which claims some friends are making $2,000 a week on it, lets members set restrictions on who might become a buddy…

Lucy Fuller:
I can say I only want to be contacted by women, or only I only want to be contacted by, you know, gay men, whoever makes you comfortable.

David Martin:
And whatever makes you comfortable.

Lucy Fuller:
You could hire somebody to come do your laundry, ‘cause you just don’t feel like doing it.

David Martin:
Lucy hopes someone hires her friendship for a visit to a senior care home, but in the meantime she’s flexible…

Lucy Fuller:
The… the poor boy who says he has a hot prom date, and doesn’t have a hot prom date, he can actually just get on there and find a hot older prom date to go with him: I would totally do that!

David Martin:
And Lucy’s phone just started blowing up. In Orlando, David Martin, Fox 35 News.

Bob Frier:
All right, it is free to join Rentafriend. All transactions are negotiated strictly between the member and the client.

For more, visit: www.rentafriend.com